Intuitive Chiropractic & Wellness Center
What is a Subluxation?
A vertebral subluxation is a spinal abnormality that interferes with your nerves. It can create dis-ease, lowered resistance to disease, pain, imbalance, fatigue and can pave the way for ill health. It is sometimes called the "silent killer" because it can slowly eat away at your health and vitality for years without having the slightest awareness of it.
Doctors of chiropractic specialize in locating, analyzing and correcting vertebral subluxations.
What Exactly is A Vertebral Subluxation?
A vertebral subluxation is a misaligned-vertebra causing interference with nerve messages between your brain and your body.
A vertebral subluxation includes the following:
- Your vertebrae are jammed and either less mobile than they should be or, conversely, too mobile ("noisy joints"). You are unable to comfortably turn, bend or twist your neck, hips or back in every direction.
- Your nerves are impinged and you may feel pain, tingling, numbness and/or pins-and needles. The impulses traveling through your nerves are altered and important chemicals that flow over your nerves may be blocked.
- Your muscles are chronically tight, in spasm, weak, overly sensitive and/or sore.
- You have swelling, tenderness, "trigger points," painful spots and other soft tissue changes. Ligaments, cartilage, discs, tendons and internal organs may be affected.
- Your muscles, joints, ligaments and organs show signs of wear and tear and premature aging, fatigue, less resistance to disease and lack of physical and mental vitality.
Causes Of Subluxations
Subluxations are caused by stress:
macro-stress (accidents, falls, sports injuries and other trauma) or micro-stress (repeated movements that gradually wear down your body parts, bad posture, dental work and emotional stress which can cause chronic tension). Subluxations can occur from a difficult birth and from childhood falls. It is for that reason that infants and children need spinal care; many neurological and other health problems have been traced to spinal damage at birth.
Although vertebral subluxations are the most common forms of interference with nerve messages, they are by no means the only ones. Drugs, trauma, direct pressure (when your legs or arms "go to sleep"), a stroke, broken bones, arthritis, tumors and neurological diseases such as muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis, polio and cerebral palsy can also damage nerves. The most widespread and common cause of nerve irritation and interference, however, is the vertebral subluxation complex.
What is Innate Intelligence?
Disease is a lack o f co-ordination between Innate, the source of power: and its expression.
- D.D. Palmer, Discoverer of Chiropractic
a kind of super intelligence exists in each of as, infinitely smarter and possessed of technical know-how far beyond our present understanding.
- Lewis Thomas, M.D., She Aledusa and The Snail
Intelligence is present everywhere in our bodies... our own inner intelligence is far superior to any we can try to substitute from the outside...
- Deepak Chopra, M.D., Quantum healing.
The wisdom of your body (also called your innate intelligence) directs your life energies that travel over your brain, spinal cord and billions of nerve fibers to your every nook and cranny. This flow of communication is necessary for breathing, digestion, heartbeat, excretion, immune system function, glands, muscles and thousands of other activities to work properly. if your nervous system is irritated, this fantastic communications system is "short-circuited," your energies are disturbed and you suffer from dis-ease or a lack of harmony.
The most common cause of a "short-circuit" in your nervous system is a vertebral subluxation. (A damaged nervous system can also occur if you have a stroke, are brain-damaged or have various diseases of the nervous system.)